Monday, February 12, 2018

Facial Recognition Software...how far will it go?

Although facial recognition software is only recently becoming available on an everyday basis to the common population through things like the iPhoneX, it has actually been around for decades. However, until now it was never accurate enough to be used for things that require a certain level of security, like your cell phone or to make financial transactions.

Now that facial recognition software has reached this level of accuracy, it is a huge market and a company called Face++ (a Chinese start-up valued at nearly a billion dollars) is attempting to tackle this market by implementing facial recognition software in various ways. First, they have implemented it in their own office building – once someone is added to their database they are given access to the building and their movements can be monitored in each room. The company’s technology is also being used in apps like Alipay that allows you to transfer money using your face. Not only that, but Didi (the dominant “ride-hailing company” in China) has begun to use Face++ software to allow passengers to confirm their driver is a legitimate driver. I think this could be beneficial with companies like Uber and Lyft as well to increase the safety as well as decrease the chances of someone else stealing your ride.

Face++ software is being used by consumers, businesses, and even the government in China as well. The local government has started to use the software in order to identify criminals in surveillance footage. This demonstrates the strength and accuracy of the software Face++ has developed, as video from surveillance cameras tend to be…not the best.

Although Face++’s developments are solely in China at the moment, there are facial recognition implementations occurring in the U.S. as well. Caliburger, a fast food chain, has decided to implement AI enabled self-ordering kiosks to increase order efficiency as well as make their loyalty program more simplified for their customers. So far it is just a pilot program in their Pasadena location, however if successful they plan to expand it to other locations as well. 

The video below describes Caliburger's thought process and reasoning behind the implementation of the AI kiosks. Seems as though it was more of a way to attract a younger demographic rather than truly increasing convenience for their customers. 


Face++ Article:

Caliburger Article:


Questions to consider:

1.     Do you think consumers in the U.S. would be as open to compromising some more privacy for the convenience Face++ software would provide?

2.     What is one thing or place you would like to see facial recognition software implemented in?


3. Do you see Caliburger's implementation of AI kiosks as more of a way to increase convenience for their current/loyalty member customers or create a draw for new customers? Would you go there just to try out the facial recognition software?

11 comments:

  1. Hi! You have chosen a very interesting topic, and one that will likely progress much further than any of us would've anticipated a couple years ago.
    To answer some of the questions posed, yes, U.S. consumers will definitely give up their privacy in the long run for convenience. There might be hiccups along the way, there were also some hiccups with fingerprint scanners on phones, where some people objected that companies will steal your fingerprint through it. However, historically in the long run it has been proven time and time again, that convenience always wins over privacy.

    Personally I would love to see it used everywhere, which I believe will eventually be the case. To give specific examples, just imagine how easy and straightforward life would be if all of the following would simply (and reliably) recognize your face and act accordingly: Home security system, airport security, ticket checks at sport games, cars (alarms and keys), smart fridges, home computers, fast-food restaurant order booth, or café order booth. All these require a person to spend increments of their day doing what they don't like, and can be moderately reduced if not completely eliminated with Facial recognition.

    I see it as a draw to new customers, however I believe that the decision was neither and both, as it was much more about jumping onboard a new technology early than thinking in depth about customer convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marton! Thanks for the reply!(: Hmm that is an interesting point you bring up about time and time again convenience winning over privacy. It seems as though people say they are afraid of these things and a lack of privacy, yet they still use them anyways. For example, something as simple as making a social media account private - many of my friends tend to get nervous about data privacy however they won't take any precautions against it. Although that may not be as drastic of an example as facial recognition, it still resonated with me as relating to your point of consumers choosing convenience over privacy.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post Hannah! I believe that facial recognition is already a magical piece of technology - and it's only getting better; however, as you mentioned, there are some frightening uses of facial recognition in surveillance. Furthermore, it's notable that studies have found that facial recognition in its current form is biased. For instance, The Atlantic found that current facial recognition technologies used in law enforcement disproportionately implicate African Americans and that - as a result of facial recognition's inaccuracy - innocent people could become suspects in crimes. (There is an interesting article on this under https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/11/17001218/facial-recognition-software-accuracy-technology-mit-white-men-black-women-error )
    Therefore, in response to your first question, I don't think that US consumers would be ready for such technology as long as it's reliability doesn't increase.

    Concerning your third question, I think it would be great to see facial recognition used in cars. For instance, cars could recognize the driver; and thus, limit the number of vehicle thefts. Furthermore, facial recognition in cars could detect when a driver is drunk and prevent him/her from starting his/her car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andras! Thanks for commenting!(: That is very interesting that you bring up that facial recognition being biased...that kind of makes it seem a little scarier than I already thought. I do like the idea of improving technology and facial recognition, however after reading the article you shared I agree that US consumers would not be ready for it at the current state. I think the biased point you bring up may cause some political issues in the US as well.

      Delete
  3. Hannah, this is a very interested topic to discuss, espicially that the facial recognition technology became a recent feature of the new iPhoneX. It is interesting to to know about the concerns in terms of the software in terms of security and accuracy. I personally never heared of Face++ company before, so it was interesting to know about the ways that they apply in order to maintain facial recognition software.

    Answering your first question, I think that consumers in the U.S. would be more happy to use the developed software, as it insures efficiency. Since Face++ is a reliable software, customers would likely accept the privacy terms and conditions of the software.

    I would personally like to see facial recognition software to be implemented in makeup stores, as I think that it would be cool to test different makeup products.

    Using new technologies in restaurants does make customers experience better and more interactive, and I believe that Caliburger’s implementation of AI is a smart, convenient way of attracting both current and new customers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danah! Thanks for the comment! That is an interesting idea you bring up - having facial recognition software in makeup stores. Every time I got to buy makeup I always wish I could try it to see if the color matches my skin tone, so that is a great idea!

      Delete
  4. Great topic Hannah! While reading this, I became kind of scared of what the future will become. In movies, we constantly see how facial recognition can be enacted. People can know what you are doing at all the times of the day. I personally do not want to see this be expanded. As much as I love new and exciting technologies, I think by making these technologies we are losing our privacy. Not to mention, how will the government or companies choose to use this information. Do you think facial recognition could lead to identity theft? Are there any privacy concerns that you think people should be worried about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Destiny! Thank you for the response! In regards to your questions, I do think that facial recognition has the potential to lead to identity theft. I think criminals always find a creative way to get around different forms of security and technology. If movie make-up artists can make people look like monsters or animals, I'm sure if someone was dedicated enough to steal someone's identity, they could find a way to pose as the person or find other mechanisms to do so. In terms of privacy concerns, facial recognition software definitely has the capacity to invade privacy in my opinion. If it is used in security cameras everywhere, like how it was suggested to be used in the Face++ video, that concerns me in terms of privacy because then I feel like my every move can be tracked and recorded. On the flip side, people today tend to post much of this information on social media anyways - their picture, where they were, who they were with, what they did.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Nicely written post Hannah, when I read more about facial recognition software endless possibilities begin to spread across my mind. In terms of having this software on a daily basis, the potential possibilities are limitless in every realm of the imagination. Its scary to think what this technology could do in the wrong hands, but also in the just hands. I'm weary to have this technology in every day society at all in fear of misuse. However, well written blog, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the response JT! But yes, I agree. The fear of misuse is very prevalent. However, I do think 100 years ago people were afraid of technology that we don't even question and use everyday now. I think we should definitely be cautious, but also open to the possibility of expanding technology.

    ReplyDelete