Tuesday, February 13, 2018

IoT in Agriculture

I would like to learn more about agriculture and how the Internet of Things can help change farming as we know it. I’ve already read a few articles pertaining to this current industrial change. IoT will allow farmers to track real-time data such as weather, how much water the crops got that day, what areas need more watering, and soil evaluations. Having something that can give fast real-time data will allow farmers to easily handle their crops without spending extensive hours figuring out the problem. Not only will this change rural farming but urban farming as well.
            In urban areas, some people do not have access to cheap fresh produce. These people are left with unhealthy options resulting in poor diets. Having IoT telling people how to properly sustain a greenhouse or how much to water a plant needs will change how people live. Families can begin growing in their homes, on sustainable roofs, and local community centers.

            For the rural farming communities, this discovery is shocking people around the world. Managing thousands of acres of crops has never been easier. The IoT allows a farmer to access their entire farm while sitting at a desk. This will improve costs and efficiency for the entire industry. This picture below is what some believe to be the future of farming due to IoT.


As the world stays the same size, society continues to grow. It is crucial that we learn how to efficiently manage agriculture to ensure successful future planting and a sustainable food supply. I am very interested in learning more about agriculture and how the Internet of Things is looking to change the game.


Questions:
1.     If you could grow agriculture on your roof, would you?
2.     Are there security risks associated with this device?
3.     If you having any farming experience, what are your thoughts of moving agriculture to IoT?

This video is a quick overview of the topic:






Websites:


9 comments:

  1. While I have no experience with farming, using IoT to the betterment of farmers' life sounds intriguing. I suspect that growing food on your own roof would be especially popular with cultures that already value gardening highly - e.g.: many of the baby boomers in England. Additionally, IoT powered farming could enable new business since it would allow farmers to grow food within cities at a closer location to their target market. There is a great video on this on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxRNoSSkLkE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, it could open up a brand new market within cities, since farming has always been outside of cities/rural.

      Delete
  2. I think it would be so cool to have a farm on my roof! Living in Arizona has always made it hard to has fresh, good produce, so it would be amazing to have a farm where I lived. I don't have much experience with farming, but I feel like if IoT was incorporated into farming it would increase productivity and efficiency. However, there could be security risks, since all IoTs have that treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from a small farming town in Wisconsin, this topic is definitely interesting to me. Farming is a very low margin occupation especially for small family farms. Utilizing technology such as you described to save resources and labor hours while increasing yields would be extremely helpful. However, a lot of family farms, as are in my hometown, would need to see the actual savings it could provide them as every investment cuts into their already small profits. The link below is a farming equipment provider I have heard about that is coming out with digital innovations and they just partnered with 365farmnet to help with their data storage and analysis.

    http://www.claasofamerica.com/product/precision-farming/variable-rate-harvesting

    https://www.365farmnet.com/en/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alyssa, I found your article to be very interesting. Although farming on a roof is a great idea, I do not believe it will provide enough produce due to the limitations of the plot. Also, the cities' envirnoment can have an effect on the produce. I was wondering if you considered how Global Warming will effect this concept? Do you see this becoming problematic or further developing the idea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greatly written article Alyssa! However I don't think I would grow any horticulture on my roof. Thinking of humid areas, bugs would be a huge problem, which then bring in birds, which then brings in larger predators. I don't see this being rolled out in suburban areas but in more rural areas I think this could be an amazing advancement. Following your questions I think this could be a risk in terms of what sort of habitat you live and other factors. I think this is really interesting but maybe more applicable in rural areas that must take advantage of every square foot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alyssa, this is a great post about IoT in Agriculture. Microsoft's FarmBeats is a great technology that will move farming towards greater sustainability in the future, without the negative side effects such as pollution and unclean water supplies. By 2050, our planet will need to be producing double the amount done today. Technology like FarmBeats will really help accelerate this process and revolutionize unsustainable farming techniques still used today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alyssa, I found your topic is very interesting but actually, I will not grow agriculture on my own roof since I'm not familiar with farming and there 're so many limitation such as weather especially in Arizona area. However, It's a good try to bring agriculture to home.

    ReplyDelete