Tuesday, March 20, 2018

TuSimple-The Autonomous Trucks

A leader in Autonomous truck Technology

Image result for Tusimple

Background 
TuSimple is an AI company that focusing on driverless trucks; it utilizes various assistant technology such as computer vision, creative algorithms, mapping, and AI technology in order to achieve the goal of the first commercially viable autonomous trucks with L4(SAE) levels safety.(Safety Level 4 means the car can drive itself in most environments, but human might still need to drive it under unusual or unexpected weather environment) It’s founded in September 2015, it successfully cooperated with Tangshan  City Caofeidian industrial Park to build the Automatic driving truck test base. On the other hand, Tusimple is also do the long distance test runs between California and Arizona. 


Issues in Trucking Industry
Fewer young people would like to entering this field, which creates a shortage of trucker drivers. Therefore, it is important to get a well-developed Autonomous driving system to assist truck drivers to handle the traffic; TuSimple is redefining the Logistic of this industry, it is using 3D HD mapping technology to allow the truck drive by itself, and increasing safety, reduce costs and reduce emissions. It utilizing a customized system to control truck's speed in order to limit how many fuel they burn and smart route features. 


Technology
Tusimple is using computer vision technology, which is basically using 9 cameras to scan the surrounding environment, and 3 millimeter-wave radar units allow the truck to scan up to 200 meters away from the vehicles. It utilized the deep learning detection algorithms to perceive the surrounding environments, just like human eyes that  it able to detect objects in the long range and make pixel-level explanation of the situation for the vehicles. The system can guide vehicles with safe and gas-efficient route with their own artificial intelligence decision-making system, which will help transportation companies to save more labors and gas with less accidents.



What do you think about autonomous trucks? Is it more reliable than human drivers?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting post. Makes you wonder what other jobs we will see succumb to automation over the next few decades. I agree that autonomous trucks, especially when driving on long stretches of roads with very little stops, can be more efficient and reliable than error-prone humans in some cases. What is your opinion on the crash that happened in Tempe, AZ very recently where a woman crossing the street was hit by a self-driving car? Does this change your opinion at all? Here is a link to the full article https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi josh, I was thinking the same thing... what will our jobs be in 100 years? With the automation of nearly everything I think it is important to still have human workers in technology settings because it creates culture and jobs.

      Delete
  2. Hey Haibo, My group in MIS 307 last semester actually did a presentation on this topic. I think autonomous trucks would be a huge benefit to companies from the gas savings and the salary of truck savings it could provide. I think we are still around 2-4 years away from having trucks without safety drivers. Companies need to find a way to process data much faster than it is currently and the solution to this is utilizing 5G networking and edge computing. Basically, this will reduce the latency of data processing and transmittance of information. Edge computing will allow the core process of taking in the vehicle's surroundings and processing the information to the edge (allowing quicker turn around) and other non-core processes will take second priority.

    The links below share some good background information on the subject:

    http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-5g-the-missing-link-for-autonomous-vehicles-smart-cities-and-a-brave-new-world/
    https://knect365.com/cloud-enterprise-tech/article/b4751c4b-7b5d-4407-8789-420289799988/autonomous-cars-cant-start-without-edge-computing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Steven's post above, there are definitely benefits for companies with autonomous truck technologies coming out. But on the other hand, many jobs will be taken away from drivers who rely on this industry for work. The whole idea of technology making lives easier has this sort of stigma, though. As technology gets more innovative, lives get easier, but jobs get taken.

    Another point I wanted to throw out was Tesla's new trucks they debuted awhile back. It's a similar situation, with new truck driving technology, but all battery-powered like Tesla's regular cars. If these two could be combined, the outcome would be very helpful for companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Haibo, Thanks for sharing your article. It is crazy to think how the evolution of technology has come to be, and where it is going. Similar to another class members post, I wonder if one day all jobs will be automated. Although I think it is an interesting idea and it definitely stream lines travel by creating multi tasking abilities for passengers meaning, rather than sitting and driving for 12 hours I can do homework or watch Netflix. I am not sure if I am able to trust these automated traveling companies yet but I forsee in the future that one day that will be our only mode of transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I am very interested in this topic. There are many issues that come into play when having human drivers. Accidents on the road, rest, and breaks are time consuming. By eliminating these events, consumers can get their products faster and businesses can profit sooner. Currently, I don't think technology has reached the point of autonomous driving being more efficient that humans but it is certainly on its way.

    ReplyDelete