![]() |
| Number of companies mentioning AI in their earnings calls based on Bloomberg's info. |
However, sometimes AI technologies make spectacular – and newsworthy – mistakes, and we are left wondering whether AI is in fact intelligent or if it’s just the newest marketing cliché. Examples of such mistakes are when Alexa deiced to blast music in a German apartment while its owner was out, prompting the police to break in to shut it down, or when Facebook’s AI powered chatbots created their own secret language to communicate with each other. In more day-to-day scenarios, it’s great that Sony’s new AI prompts us to set a 7AM alarm on our XPeria phone when it recognizes that we usually get up at 7, but it’s annoying – and not very intelligent - when it does the same even though we already set an alarm for 8AM.
Today’s AIs are better described as “street smart” than as “artificially intelligent,” but – unfortunately – the latter sounds much catchier. Moreover, it seems as if marketing departments grew tired of the term “smart” (i.e.: smart phone, smart fridge, smart TV) and are now labeling everything as “Artificial Intelligence powered” even though there hasn’t been that big of a change in the underlying technologies. Unfortunately, this overuse of the term AI means that an average person can’t really tell the difference between what software engineers call narrow AI and general AI (also referred to as human-level AI or superintelligence).
The truth is, when companies like LG and Samsung talk about AI, they are usually referring to a narrow version of AI called “Machine Learning” – which is a field of computer science that dates back to the 1950s – and rely on algorithms that were also invented up to 50 years ago. In essence, what these Machine Learning (ML) algorithms do differently compared to traditional computer code – such as the ones we all wrote in MIS 301 – is that they don’t require a set of steps to follow, but instead they come up with their own steps based on what the input data and what the desired outputs are.
Often, these ML algorithms are based on statistical principles that require a lot of parallel processing power and work better when there is a large amount of data available to them. Interestingly, these two characteristics can also explain why ML (labeled as AI) has been becoming so popular. Namely, since we are producing more data (2.5 exabytes/day) and carrying more processing power in our pockets than ever before, the conditions are perfect for ML algorithms. Concerning processing power, it’s also noteworthy that companies began adding special chips to aid with the computing power required in ML – such as Apple’s new A11 Bionic chip or Huawei’s Kirin 970. (Classical CPUs can also perform ML operations, but it’s better if more cores work on it. Thus, companies often rely on GPUs to do ML calculations or special NPUs – i.e.: Neural Processing Units – such as the one built into Apple’s Bionic chip.) While ML algorithms work great sometimes, they are not really intelligent. In fact, the weakest forms of ML algorithms aren’t able to accomplish any form of learning, while the more advanced versions – which are sometimes referred to as narrow AI – are only able to accomplish very specific tasks such as figuring out what mode your washing machine should be set to. We can’t expect such AI to come up with solutions to our most pressing problems – unless, those problems are very specific like how to win a chess game. However, on bright side, ML or narrow AI isn’t something that will likely take our jobs away or cause catastrophes similar to the one depicted in major blockbusters precisely because they are not very good at complex tasks.
What should cause a bit more worry is AI that reaches consciousness (thus, called human-level AI or general AI) or artificial intelligence that goes far beyond human capabilities – called superintelligence. An important distinction compared to narrow AI is that general AI is able to accomplish complex tasks. In other words, a general AI is a form of artificial intelligence that can accomplish any given goal as well as any other intelligent entity (e.g.: humans) within a finite time. Therefore, while a narrow AI might be really good at playing Go, a general AI would be at least as good at playing Go as humans while also being at least as good of a chef, engineer, project manager, police officer, etc. as us. As of now, such AIs don’t exist but there is plenty of research done in this area. While going into detail on why superintelligence should be worrisome or why its creation is not impossible is outside of this blog’s scope, I included a brief table clearing up some of the misconceptions around general AI below.
![]() |
| Based on Max Tegmark's book on AI. |
Hopefully, at this point, it’s clearer what the difference is between a narrow AI or ML algorithm and a – not-yet existent – general AI. Hopefully, it’s also clear what big companies’ marketing teams mean when they brand something as “AI powered” and why that’s a different AI than the one that Elon Musk is worried about.
If you are interested in this topic, then these are some of the readings that I would recommend:
- Life 3.0 Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence by Max Tegmark
- The Debate on the Last Invention that Man Need Ever Make by Andras Szep
- The Master Algorithm by Pedro Domingos
- What specific tasks in your day-to-day life could be made better/easier with Machine Learning?
- Should marketing teams continue using the term Artificial Intelligence for Machine Learning tools or do you find it misleading?
- Have you ever come across a situation where you used an “AI” but found that it wasn’t too intelligent?



Very informative article, Andras. While I agreed with a lot of the points you made, I would also argue that machine learning is simply artificial intelligence in its infancy. Although, over time, as these machines collect more and more data, and the internal mechanisms are fine tuned, I believe we will eventually see this "artificial intelligence" that you describe in your post. There is a company called Boston Dynamics that does a lot of work with AI robots that I think you might find interesting. While the robots are certainly not on a human level, the tasks they are able to complete are quite impressive. Here is their website and you can also look them up on youtube https://www.bostondynamics.com/
ReplyDeleteHi Josh, yes, I do agree that ML is AI in its infancy. However, the main issue that somewhat worries me is that confusing ML with a super intelligent AI (that we might develop sooner rather than later) could mean that we underestimate the abilities and capabilities of such an AI due to the shortcomings of ML. While I didn't want to delve into why underestimating AI could be dangerous, there is a great documentary on this that just came out recently http://doyoutrustthiscomputer.org/watch
DeleteI just want to start out by saying the Alice and Bob Facebook chatbots who made their own shorthand language and were talking to each other really freak me out. In the article you posted, Artificial ignorance: The 10 biggest AI failures of 2017, it states, "While the conversation transcript looks harmless, the social media giant said it was a form of shorthand. Alice and Bob were shut down after their conversations were discovered." HOW CREEPY IS THAT? Anyways, to answer some of your questions, just because of my inexperience with AI in my personal life, I don't know any of my day-to-day tasks that could be made easier with machine learning, but I think marketers using AI for Machine Learning is better than using "Smart" before it. Personally for me, I find smart home devices, and any smart devices really creepy, so I would be more drawn to something named AI (except not now after your article you posted). I personally have had issues with Alexa, kind of like how you mentioned Alexa playing German music in an apartment, my grandparent's Alexa will randomly start playing NPR and they can't figure out how to turn it off!
ReplyDeleteAs much as I hear about AI, I never though there to be a big diffference. Andras, your article was very informative. I do believe that the term AI is extremely misleading. Is there any information on how misleading the term is and how people interpret it differently? Do you think Machine Learning belongs in a completely seperate category, or do you think that it still correlates with AI enough?
ReplyDeleteHi Destiny, thank you for your comment. I haven't found much research on how misleading the term is in every day life for people - probably because its a very new field. However, I think the important point to stress is that the stupidness (for lack of better word) of current Machine Learning tools leave the impression that AI is something that will always be dumper than us. However, in reality this is not the case and once we create an AI that's much smarter than us then controlling or limiting it will be nearly impossible. This is why it would be important to start developing ways that would allow us to control AI even though it currently seems that it wouldn't be necessary as AI currently is rather incompetent.
DeleteAndras, as always excellent work. I love talking about the difference between ML and AI. My job after college is as a Software Engineer so I've been familiarising myself with the difference for awhile now. I've come across many ML devices that were labeled as AI but really weren't, and its honestly mostly humorous people believe their Roomba is actually on the same AI as a the Terminator. I also think its important to bring up how afraid Stephen Hawing was of AI, he warned many times about how large of a threat it could be to mankind. And I agree with him, considering how much Elon Musk tries to push the development we don't have rules in place to try to contain them and i believe that must first be in place before aI actually happens.
ReplyDeleteGreat Article! Machine Learning is capable of improving almost any aspect of our everyday lives, not just by completing previously unaccomplished tasks, such as a personal assistant, but by improving already existing systems dramatically. Via the use of machine learning, many computational processes can be sped up dramatically leading to more responsive systems. Now, I know that your post was not focused on this issue, but I am personally one of the people scared about the absurd potentials of AI. So, I would love to just put this here for interested people to read. In my opinion, it is fascinating to imagine an intelligence that is so far away from human intelligence, that the difference makes the and-human comparison seem tiny. Due to our world's cumulative computing power AI could outclass the human brain by a factor over 10^20, while the difference between the human brain and an ants brain is only on a scale of 10^4. Coupled with the capability of beyond exponential growth due to no practical physical limitation, an AI could become a literal God for humanity (faster than we could even realize that we created said AI), with no moral obligation to serve said humanity. Just food for thought!
ReplyDeleteAndras, great read. Very informative and enticing, I too agree with your main points that marketing departments are coining the phrase "AI" way to often in exchange for "smart phones or smart products". I did however agree with Josh that ML is AI in its infancy. Once a computer learns enough about how it thinks and operates AI may finally come to fruition. I like the visuals and best of luck in the future with this stuff.
ReplyDeleteGreat article Andras! This topic is just mind-blowing, it occupied all my free time for awhile, reading about the Turing test, intelligence, consciousness, etc. I would recommend anyone interested in this topic watch the movie "Ex Machina", it's a nice movie with some nice food for thoughts about AI. I wonder if we can make a "real" AI, meaning it thinks by its own independently from what we programmed - the same way a child's brain learning from scratch, what would be its purpose in life? Since its creator has no influence on its thinking, we can't pre-program a purpose ( we can but then it would not be a "real" AI). Would it be just like "why am I here?". It might just be like a child who doesn't grow up. Well, I start this endless chain of thoughts again lol. Feel free to share your thoughts on this.
ReplyDeleteHi Kevin, unfortunately, I haven't seen Ex Machina yet, but I will make sure to check it out. In regards to your question, I think an AI's purpose would likely be in line with the purpose of its creator initially just as children often have very similar values to their parents. However, as it is also the case with kids, the environment can have a great influence on their character development. In the case of the AI, this environment could be the entire Internet, and the impact of the content found on the Internet on an AI's personality is highly unpredictable in my opinion.
Delete