The blog for this section of MIS 441 is for tech briefings, discussing cases, articles we read in class, etc. To allow you to post on this blog (versus only comment), I will email you a link so you can be an author of the blog.
Historically, blogs were among the first applications to become associated with the transition from static web pages to social media. Blogger was launched in 1999 by Pyra Labs as one of the first free blog websites. Many of today’s blogging conventions were developed, popularized and standardized by Pyra Labs. In 2003, Google bought Blogger and began adding features.
All companies, probably all online newspapers, digital magazines, and online articles all use blogging technology. Getting feedback from readers in a sustained conversation without limiting the amount of text and comments is one of the basic ways we read online.
The widespread use of blogging technology in businesses, including consultants, non-profits, and government, to name a few, use blogs to connect with potential customers, donors, constituents, by promoting their products and services, as well as giving an organization the opportunity to get its message out into the world in the way it desires.
Read Fresh and Thought-Provoking Material: The advantage to reading blogs is that you don't have to limit your reading to current news and blog entries that everyone else is reading. Attempt to find unexpected inspiration and new ways of viewing topics from alternative sources.
Blogs Don’t Have to be Balanced: Blogs are useful in conveying an opinion. Readers' comments can provide alternative points of view and perhaps build a case for the opposing set of arguments. This is a good way to create a discussion online. If an entry is meant to influence readers, provide them with the best arguments for your opinion. This will convey passion. Balance does not mean provocative, but in its best form solicits new ideas. Of course, it is also easy to spam blogs with, but good blogs offer good arguments and cogent comments.
Question: Outside of school, do any of you have your own blogs? If you read blogs, which ones do you like to read? What topics do you mostly follow (it can be anything)? Do you mostly "lurk" at what others write, or do you comment as well?
Ayyy! Who would've thought! It works!
ReplyDeleteOutside of school, I don't personally use blogs a lot, other than Reddit, which is not a typical blog. Most of the time, when I search for solutions to problems, blogs are a great place to find answers. I always just lurk, I don't like to write comments most of the time.
No I do not have my own blog and I do not regularly follow any blogs. However, I regularly gather information on some topics by using reddit.
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't have a blog that I update regularly, we did have the opportunity to create a blog post last semester for MIS 304, and my blog for that can be found under https://mis304andrasszep.wordpress.com. In addition, there are a couple of Hungarian technology blogs that I follow - for example, Szifon.com or appleblog.blog.hu, which are both blogs focused on Apple related news. I mostly just read blogs, but I did get two articles published on Szifon.com over the last 5 years, and I contributed to a blog post on MacRumors (https://www.macrumors.com/2015/05/18/cook-gw-commencement-speech/).
ReplyDeleteOutside of school I don't have my own blog at all. I also don't really follow any 'blogs' but I do follow some tech websites that allow commenting on posts and include forums. The main one I follow is MacRumors.com, mostly involving Apple products and news surrounding Apple. I also follow sites like The Verge, which has a commenting system, but is a bigger site so I don't really consider that a blog. Other than those, I don't follow any other blog-like websites.
ReplyDeleteOutside of school, I have tried writing a blog. Unfortunately, I found it difficult to have the time to post consistently and ended up taking the whole blog down. Do you find keeping up with a blog to be difficult? Do you ever feel uninspired, which leads to a lack of posts? I read a lot of blogs through LinkedIn on accounting and IT. I find LinkedIn's blogs to be extremely useful and help me keep up-to-date on news. Being an accounting major, it is vital that I am aware of what is going on from the AICPA and PCAOB. I tend to just lurk, but share the blogs with other colleagues.
ReplyDeleteI personally have never attempted to create my own blog, however I do work for an media company that enables it's readers to post blogs in relation to our articles online. We do this to make our followers feel more invested in our articles and mission. We also pay professional bloggers as consultants to publish articles on our site.
ReplyDeleteI have never created my own blog but have read through several different blogs on a variety of topics. I will be working for Ernst and Young after graduation in May and they use blogs for employees to recommend improvements, discuss current topics, and changing regulations in the accounting and IT world. I also keep an eye on other blogs including accounting changes, sports, and new technology and video games. I only read and share, not comment on these blogs.
ReplyDeleteThat's cool that Ernst and Young has a blog for employees. During my BCOM 314 case competition, we created a blog type platform for employees to increase employee engagement. Interesting to see it in the real world work environment, I wonder if it actually works!
DeleteOutside of school I do not have my own blog. However, in two of my MIS classes blogs are utilized. The other class blog I used is to discuss internet privacy and security. When I do read outside blogs, they are typically for home remedies, recipes, or I would also use technology blogs to fix computer/ phone issues. On the blogs I do access, I only "lurk", I have never commented.
ReplyDeleteI do not participate in active reading of blogs, however, I do have some experience writing blogs. I have a wordpress website, Cali Fisler Photography Wordpress
ReplyDelete, that I use for my photography business, Cali Fisler Photography. I have written about 3 blogs on there, but I find it hard to have the time to blog all the time. I have also written for Eller's PDC blog
about the class BCOM 314 here. When I interned abroad in Dublin, Ireland, I was a photo blogger, you can find some here
for my study abroad company, CEA.
I used to run a fashion/lifestyle blog on Blogger which I enjoyed a lot. Running a blog has taught me that in order to be truly effective, blogging requires an exciting and relevant flow of content. This was a challenge for me because I did not have all the time I wished to dedicate to creating unique content while being a full-time student and all the rest. Another challenge was maintaining an engaged audience which can be stimulated through attractive social media campaigns. I would love to go back to blogging because it is a great way to channel your thoughts and creativity.
ReplyDeleteI used to run a fashion/lifestyle blog on Blogger which I enjoyed a lot. Running a blog has taught me that in order to be truly effective, blogging requires an exciting and relevant flow of content. This was a challenge for me because I did not have all the time I wished to dedicate to creating unique content while being a full-time student and all the rest. Another challenge was maintaining an engaged audience which can be stimulated through attractive social media campaigns. I would love to go back to blogging because it is a great way to channel your thoughts and creativity.
ReplyDelete